This work by Urs Enzler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
How do you build your Visual Studio solution, verify your coding guidelines and execute tests?
What steps do you take when adding a new project to your Visual Studio solution?
Living in the past
Let me summarize my past experience. I have tried several different approaches, all of them involved build scripts, and Visual Studio Project Templates or manual editing of *.csproj files. I don’t like any of the approaches. Why? I will show you some drawbacks of this kind of build definitions.
- you have to learn a scripting language
- you try to solve problems which you would solve in your preferred .NET language with less effort
Visual Studio Project Templates:
- making up-to-date versions available to all team members is a PITA (pain in the
- update your templates and you still have to update all previously existing *.csproj files manually
- if you change your build process (e.g. enable StyleCop) you have to release and distribute a new version of your templates
- enough said